Thursday, July 31, 2008

Funks with a Purpose

I think God has set aside certain days to be funk days. A funk day is a day where you just can’t figure out what’s going on…you are in a funk. If you are at work, you seem to be more of a sideline player. If you are in a social setting you seem to be a wallflower. In a funk day there might be a point of break down or tears looming, and many times you feel just socially awkward.

So what is the purpose of these days? Just recently I had a funk day. It was the first day of a conference for work at a beautiful resort near Austin. I woke up, had my coffee, read my bible and went on what I thought was my merry way. About 30 minutes into the conference I started to realize that I was entering funk mode. The funk went with me through the day. That night two friends/co-workers of mine and I took a float on the lazy river and out it came…”So what was up with my funk today” I said. It was like, I was finally ready to verbalize the funk. We got to talking about it and realized that maybe this funk gave me the opportunity to listen to my colleagues, gain perspective, and develop thoughts. By the end of the river ride my funk had pretty much dissipated and I was able to chalk up my weird day to just being in a funk. BUT my funk had a purpose.

So what’s the purpose of your most recent funk?

Caution: I must warn against on-going funks. Sometimes you might have a two-week period of mild funkness or maybe even as long as a month. If your funk lasts for longer than a month, I might suggest talking it out with someone you trust.

1 comment:

Keith and Jessica said...

You are seriously cracking me up.