Thursday, July 17, 2008

From 1-10

A girlfriend of mine went on a first date the other day. When she came home, we sat around drinking wine and asking her about every detail of the evening. We asked on a scale from 1 to 10 how was the conversation, on a scale from 1 to 10 how was the food, on a scale from 1 to 10 how was the fabric on the chairs at the restaurant next to the one that you guys had ice cream at...ridiculous really! The final "1 to 10" was on a scale from 1 to 1o, did it meet your expectations? THIS one stuck in my head.

EXPECTATIONS: Have I, a member of the emotional gender, discovered a way to control my feelings? Think about it, if I wake up in the morning and think...the man of my dreams will call me today, what kind of control do I have? ZERO! But if I wake up and think, today I will finish my research proposal for grad school. Can I control that? Absolutely!!

So maybe everyday I need to be more intentional on setting expectations. And maybe in my relationships I need to be better at first listening to other's expectations and second communicating my own expectations.

5 comments:

Laura Moore said...

I'm so excited that you have a blog! now it can be like we are still roomies...

estan said...

that's kinda creepy

estan said...

...that is... that you talked in that much detail

Rebecca said...

ahh laura I am so glad we can comblogucate!!!

Rebecca said...

ethan consider yourself informed