Monday, July 28, 2008

Contentment

I was reading in Philippians the other day and Paul said,

“Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned, in whatever state I am, to be content.”

I have read this verse for years and never fully understood how that was supposed to look in my life, or why it wasn’t at work in my life. However, I can tell you to the month (November 2007) when this verse really took up residency in my heart. Over the course of about 2 weeks I just became so content with my life. I hadn’t “acquired” the great things I desired to achieve. I was just glad to be where I was. So I wonder how this great understanding came about. I had been reading that verse for years…why now? I think the Lord works in a very specific time. That specific time has purpose in meaning that reveals itself in, yes, its own time as well. So I can only eagerly wait for my next revealed truth, but if I were to have an agenda of such truth it would be from 2 Corinthians 10:5.

4 comments:

Gram said...

the hardest thing for me about this is when i think i am supposed to be content when i am in a state i don't want to be in (and i don't mean texas because of the freakin' heat). i've finally learned through the last 8 months that contentment doesn't mean you LIKE your circumstances if they suck. it means, i think, to be content in your understanding of what God wants for you and how much He loves you; that,regardless of what is going on in your life that ISN'T too great, you can be content with the knowledge that He is in control. something like that. whatever. miss your sweet smile and loving spirit.

Rebecca said...

Ahh sweet Jan...I see what you are saying. Trusting Him even when it's hot in Texas ;) Miss you too

Gram said...

and by state i really meant "situation" but it seemed a good play on words...

Rebecca said...

I got it :)