Sunday, July 27, 2008

80’s Hair Bands

I was always the little sister that wanted to be just like her brother. If my brother knew how to do something, I needed to know how to do that very same thing. The upside: my brother taught me how to climb out of my crib, so I got the “big girl” bed early. The unfortunate side: WWF wrestling and 80’s hair bands. I loved all the hair bands that my brother loved; Guns n’ Roses, Aerosmith, Warrant, Firehouse…to name a few. For wrestling, we had all the gear; wrestling buddies, wrestling action figures, a mini wrestling rink, and of course a state of the art foam championship belt. We even went as far as going to an actual WWF wrestling match at, then, Reunion Arena. Now you might think…wrestling…hair bands, I don’t remember the Edwards’ family being redneck?!? Well we’re not; we just appreciate the finer things in life.

I had the recent opportunity to relive this phase of my life on my latest adventure. It was a fun girls trip to the Woodlands for a Brian Adams concert. Little did we know that we would be listening to the wonderful music of the opening band, Foreigner, an entertaining 80’s hair band. As I walked into the venue, I quickly noticed…Toto we’re not in Kansas anymore…or maybe we were in Kansas and that’s why we were overrun by rockers of all ages, rocking it out. I mean we're talking slashed jeans, hard-core head banging, mullets as far as the eye can see, and SEVERAL middle aged women rocking like they have never rocked before. I just want to say that I appreciate the little opportunities I receive along the way to remind me of the way life was when 80’s hair bands filled the airwaves.

1 comment:

Emily said...

HI Friend!! Hilarious that the first blog I read of yours was about wrestling...I instantly flashed back to your Hulk stuffed toy...gotta love childhood! I added your blog to my blog list...nickandemilystrittmatter.blogspot.com. we got really creative with the name!
Krame