Friday, January 23, 2009

Poetry AND Motion

Working for a school is rarely dull.
The school year always seems to roll
The cyclical school calendar keeps me on my toes.
And this is how it goes:

• The excitement of the new school year begins the first day of school. You meet your students and have a thousand things on your mind to save you from the mundane.



• This excitement wears off about late September and just before you have the chance to get bored, football season and all its festivities kick in to play.



• When football season is winding down you take a look at the calendar and begin the wonderful countdown to thanksgiving break. Avoiding all thoughts of Halloween. (it is the death of every teacher)



• Then the stretch from thanksgiving to Christmas. No words.


• After the break you begrudgingly return to school, but are always thankful for Martin Luther King’s birthday.



• Then this weird thing happens. All of a sudden you realize all the classroom elements have come together and finally they know the procedures of the classroom. (Great it only took 5 months)


• Soon comes the realization that Spring Break is around the corner. Trip planning is on the mind!


• Then (cheesy dramatic voice) THE TAKS CRAZE. That’s it…I have taught them all they need to know. It’s review time before the big, don’t call me at home because I am dazed from watching kids take a test that could determine my employment for the next year, day.


• After TAKS comes the oh-so-grand free fall to summer and then…



• FREEDOM. And the day I get my PTO happy summer birthday cookie on a stick!


So while it may seem long
Like the never-ending song.
I will always say,
Teaching is the only way!

1 comment:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

That was very clever...I loved that post! It is so true! Although, inmy seventh year, I'm not sure it is the only way right now. Having second thoughts about a CAREER in teaching. We'll see. Anyway, can't wait to start on your header. It will be great, I HOPE!