Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Am I?

Am I a jerk? Ever since I have started working full time (four years). I have come to expect a lot from people. I think to myself…If I let my guard down for just one minute at work, my students will be in full fledge revolt mode. As in, the second I turn my back I either have a mutiny of classroom rules, or a stack of paper work a mile high on my desk. All that to say: I, like many of my friends, work hard, so I expect others to work hard too. So this new expectation really shows is true colors when I am going to place of service. I get so frustrated when I walk to a checkout counter to pay and the workers decide to finish their conversation before they look at me to ring up my items.

Well the other day I had it. I have been trying to get a hold of this place forever to make an appointment. I finally get a hold of them and the women answering the phone sounded like she just woke up from a 10-hour nap. I then asked her when I should call so I can make appointments. She said, “We are always busy”. I asked for the manager, and she informed that she was the manager. Well my everybody should work as hard as I do chip on the shoulder attitude spoke up and said, “I though I might offer you some professional advice, if somebody is explaining that it is difficult to contact your business, you might benefit from apologizing and promising (though it might be empty) to try harder in the future” She hung up on me. Oh well, changing lives one day at a time.

I do want to say I appreciate the effort when it is made. I went snowboarding a couple of weeks ago and at the end of the day everybody was trying to catch the gondola down the mountain. The line was really long, which just meant traffic would be even worse. BUT the Breckenridge staff was there, passing out cookies to everybody waiting in line. Really they can’t help that the line is long, but the simple acknowledgement of frustration and peace offering really went a long way. Well done Breckenridge. Well done!

3 comments:

Jeremy & Crystal said...

I know exactly how you feel. I get so disappointed at the attitude from some in the service industry. I just tell myself that they have been putting up with jerks all day. My hope is that a smile and pleasant attitude might go a long way, but sometimes I am the one with a bad attitude.

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Hey friend, sorry I haven't gotten to that header yet, dang it. I want to, I promise. In fact, send me the color ideas and such again and I'll see what I can come up with during my Tuesday "fun" "teaching" GED class at night. Welcome back to Bloggerville! Glad to have you home!

Emily said...

you are SO. NOT. A. JERK! There is nothing wrong with expecting others to hold a similar standard! However...not everyone is as SMART as you are!

And, I SO would have/have done the same thing. If you don't tell them what to fix...how will they know?!